Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Trying new recipes

Well, getting a box of fresh produce every week has certainly inspired me to try some new recipes. And, it has made my 5 year old interested in tasting all these new foods. So far, he hasn't liked many of them, but at least he is tasting them!

Thought I would share what we have received in the past three weeks of our subscription and what I made with it all. Don't expect greatness here; I'm a newbie!

Week 1:
-Head of Romaine lettuce: Made a tossed salad, nothing special there
-Cucumbers: Some went into the Fennel Cucumber Salsa (see below), some went into a pasta salad (see below)
-Spinach: Ranch Spinach Pasta Salad - found the recipe on the back of a box of Suddenly Salad
-Green Garlic: Chopped it and made spaghetti sauce and garlic bread
-Leek: Still in my frig, thinking it's probably not good any more :-(

Week 2:
-Bag of garlic scapes: Did not know what to do with these - they are WEIRD looking, have you seen 'em?? So this bunch went bad, but I redeemed myself the next week!
-Cucumbers: Waited too long to use them and they went bad - ugh!!!
-Big old heirloom tomato: The 2 yr old and I just ate it - he ate it in chunks and I put a couple slices on a fried egg sandwich
-Pint of strawberries: Made spinach salad with strawberries, red onion, mandarin oranges, almonds, and poppyseed dressing

Week 3:
-Another bag of garlic scapes: I made something GREAT! Garlic Scape and Almond Pesto! Yum-o!
-Cucumbers: Cilantro Cucumber Slices using some Homemade Gourmet spices I have
-Another big tomato: BLTs!
-Head of butter-leaf lettuce: BLTs (see above), salad
-Bag of sugar snap peas: Nothing yet... what should I do??
-Carrots: Still needing to use them - I have some great veggie dip in the frig, so maybe we'll just eat 'em raw
-Kohlrabi: This was new for us. I peeled and sliced it and we ate it raw. Seemed like a cross between a radish and a potato. Wasn't our favorite thing to eat. If we get another one, I'll do something more with it.

In three days we get our next box. I've had a few glitches in letting some of the food go to waste, but overall I am pleased. What will I make next??

No comments:

Post a Comment